Perfect Christmas Starter
Updated: Oct 27
Whiskey Mushroom Vol-au-vents (Serves 10)
1 small shallot, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
250g chestnut mushrooms, roughly chopped
1 vegetable stock cube
1 teaspoon dried parsley
½ teaspoon dried tarragon
½ teaspoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon plain flour
Tablespoon of Jameson whiskey (or similar)
200ml double cream
Salt and pepper for seasoning
10 medium JusRol vol-au-vents
1. Place the vol-au-vents in the oven and bake as per directions on the packet.
2. Meanwhile, melt the butter in a large pan under a high heat. Add the shallots and garlic and fry until translucent.
3. Chop the mushrooms into small sizes, roughly around 1cm cubed. Add to the pan, keeping the heat high. Add in the dried herbs and fry for around 5 minutes or slightly more until the mushrooms are softened and just starting to brown.
4. Turn the heat to low and add in the flour. Stir until all the mushrooms are coated. Cook the mushrooms for a few minutes, stirring continuously.
5. Add the whiskey and turn the heat back up, bring to the boil, allowing the alcohol to be cooked off. Keep stirring while you turn down the heat and add in the cream.
6. Add the stock cube and slowly add 50ml of water until the sauce is thick and creamy.
7. Season with salt and pepper. Leave to cool slightly before filling the vol-au-vent cases. Can be served hot or cold.