Blackcurrant Poke Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
This is just a basic sheet cake and can be used for any amount of toppings! here ive used blackcurrant jam as I’d a glut of it from the garden but you could use any jam. Could add some lemon rind into the cake as well to give it a bit more zestiness if that’s your thing!
For the cake grab:
200g butter, softened, plus extra for the tin
200g caster sugar
4 large eggs
200g self-raising flour
2 tsp vanilla extract
1. Cream together butter & sugar
2. Add in flour, milk, eggs and vanilla extract until combined
3. Pour into an 8x8 lined and greased tin
Bake at 160oC for 35-40 minutes until golden brown and spongy to touch.
4. Leave to cool slightly before using the handle of a wooden spoon to poke holes in the cake
5. Heat up 4 or 5 tablespoons of high quality blackcurrant jam and cover the top of the cake with it making sure it fills the holes
6. Leave to cool completely
For the cream cheese frosting:
60g butter, room temperature
110g Philadelphia full fat cream cheese, room temperature
180g icing sugar
7. Add the butter to a bowl. Mix for a few minutes. Add in the cream cheese and worm together well with a spatula to ensure there are no lumps. Mix well with an electric whisk.
8. Add in the icing sugar a little at a time, using your spatula to incorporate the sugar. Once all added give the frosting a mix with the electric mixer for a few minutes until well combined and thickened
9. Pipe/spread on top of your cake