Irish Coffee Swiss Roll ☘️
Tomorrow is St Patrick’s day!
This gorgeous IRISH COFFEE SWISS ROLL is a great one for the St Patrick’s celebrations - have it with a cuppa, have it on a picnic watching the parades or for dessert ☘️
4 large eggs
100 g (4 oz) caster sugar
65 g (2½ oz) self-raising flour
40 g (1½ oz) cocoa powder
For the filling:
60g Butter, softened but not melted
250g Icing Sugar
2 Tbsp Cocoa Powder
1 tbsp instant coffee
1/2 tsp Salt
2 Tbsp Hot Water
2 tbsp Irish whiskey
1. Pre-heat the oven to 170oC. Grease a 13 × 9” swiss roll tin and line with baking parchment.
2. Whisk the eggs & sugar until the mixture is light and frothy (like milkshake). Sift the flour & cocoa into the mixture, carefully folding them in at the same time. Turn the mixture into the prepared tin and gently spreads evenly into the corners.
3. Bake in the pre-heated oven for about 10 minutes or until the sponge begins to shrink from the edges of the tin. While the cake is cooking, place a piece of baking parchment a little bigger than the size of the tin on to a work surface and sprinkle it with cocoa powder.
4. Invert the cake on to the coated parchment. Peel off the parchment. Make a score mark 1inch from one shorter edge, being careful not to cut right through. Roll up the cake firmly from the cut end, with the parchment inside, and leave to cool.
5. For the filling Boil some water. In a medium sized mixing bowl add the butter, icing sugar, cocoa powder, and salt.
6. Pour the hot water & whiskey into a cup and mix with the coffee powder. Pour over the dry ingredients and use a whisk to combine until whipped and smooth. Add more whiskey if needed for a thinner consistency
7. Carefully unroll the cooled cake. Remove the parchment, spread with icing and re-roll. Use the rest of the icing to cover the outside.
#irishdesserts #irishbaking #irishbaker #stpaddysdaydesserts #stpaddysday #stpatricksdaydessert #stpatricksdaybaking #bakingideas #irishcoffeedessert